Juan José Esparragoza Monzón, aka “El Negro,” escaped from a prison in Culiacán in a mid-day jailbreak. He was on the Justice Ministry’s list of 122 top targets; his capture on January 19 was announced in a press conference by Mexico’s national security commissioner, Renato Sales. El Negro was being held pending extradition to the U.S. He is believed to be one of the top financial operators of the Sinaloa Cartel. His father “El Azul,” is one of the cartel’s top leaders–perhaps the top leader after El Chapo’s recapture last year. “El Negro” is also married to the youngest daughter of the former head of the Beltran Leyva cartel, who was killed in a high profile military operation in 2009. Source: López-Doriga.
- Negotiating NAFTA
- Morena and PRI candidates tied in Mexico State
- Morena candidate caught on video receiving cash donation to give to AMLO
- Ex-Pemex chief Lozoya received US$ 5 million bribe, per Odebrecht
- Mexicans react with skepticism and irony to Duarte’s arrest
- Capture of fugitive ex-governor rekindles debate on official corruption