Mexico was the worst performing country in the Americas, sliding to a corruption score well below the other major Latin American countries in Transparency International’s 2016 annual report on global perceptions of corruption. The blindness to corruption evident in EPN’s handling of the Casa Blanca scandal involving his wife’s home in 2014, El Chapo’s unbelievable prison escape in 2015, the egregious conduct of a number of state governors, and the apparent inability to prosecute and convict almost any public official on corruption charges have greatly undermined the country’s image. Regional scores are here.
- Narrow advantage for Morena in last poll before Mexico State vote
- Award-winning crime journalist murdered
- Jorge Castañeda abandons quest as independent candidate for President; endorses Senator Armando Ríos Piter
- State of Mexico election still wide open
- Negotiating NAFTA
- Morena and PRI candidates tied in Mexico State