The government reported that wrongful deaths rose 22% to 20,789 in 2016. This is the highest level of the Peña Nieto government, and the third highest recorded (after 2011 and 2012, during the height of the Calderón drug war.) The states with the highest homicide rates were Colima (82 per 100k!!), Guerrero, Sinaloa, Baja California, and Chihuahua. More detail here from Reforma.
- Narrow advantage for Morena in last poll before Mexico State vote
- Award-winning crime journalist murdered
- Jorge Castañeda abandons quest as independent candidate for President; endorses Senator Armando Ríos Piter
- State of Mexico election still wide open
- Negotiating NAFTA
- Morena and PRI candidates tied in Mexico State