Both governments reacted quickly to the killings of three persons in Ciudad Juárez affiliated with the U.S. consulate on Saturday. The NY Times has the clearest and most detailed coverage:
The Ciudad Juárez shootings took place within minutes of each other about 2:30 p.m. on Saturday. The victims had left a social gathering at another consulate worker’s home when they were attacked, officials said.
The first attack was reported at 2:32 p.m.
Jorge Alberto Salcido Ceniceros, 37, the husband of a consulate worker, was found dead in a white Honda Pilot, with bullet wounds to his body. In the back seat, were two injured children, one aged four and one seven. They were taken to the hospital for treatment.
Numerous bullet casings of various calibers were recovered from the scene.
Another call came in exactly 10 minutes later, several miles away.
This time it was a Toyota RAV 4 with Texas plates that had been shot up, with two dead adults inside and a baby crying from a car seat in the back, the authorities said.
A relative identified the dead couple to The Associated Press as Lesley A. Enriquez, 25, a consulate employee, and her husband, Arthur H. Redelf, 30, from across the border in El Paso, Texas.
Ms. Enriquez, an American citizen, was shot in the head. She was wearing a green sweater, brown pants and black sandals, according to a police report.
The Los Pinos statement said:
President Felipe Calderón Hinojosa expressed his anger and condemned the events that caused the loss of life of three persons associated with the U.S. consulate in Ciudad Juárez yesterday.
At the same time, he gave his most sincere condolences to the families of the victims and reiterated the unbreakable commitment of the Government of Mexico to solve these serious crimes and to continue to dedicate all the resources available to strengthen public security in Ciudad Juárez and the entire national territory.
The Mexican Embassy statement reads:
THE EMBASSY OF MEXICO EXTENDS ITS MOST HEARTFELT CONDOLENCES TO THE FAMILIES AND COLLEAGUES OF THE TWO EMPLOYEES ASSOCIATED WITH THE US CONSULATE IN CIUDAD JUAREZ, AND ONE OF THEIR SPOUSES, MURDERED ON SATURDAY. THE EMBASSY CONDEMNS THIS HEINOUS ACT.
ON THE BASIS OF OUR SUSTAINED BILATERAL COOPERATION, MEXICAN LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES WILL WORK CLOSELY WITH THEIR UNITED STATES COUNTERPARTS TO TRACK DOWN THOSE RESPONSIBLE OF THESE KILLINGS, SO JUSTICE CAN BE SERVED.
THE GOVERNMENT OF MEXICO WILL CONTINUE TO ROLL-BACK TRANSNATIONAL ORGANIZED CRIME, AND UNDER THE PRINCIPLE OF SHARED RESPONSIBILITY UNDERSCORES THE NEED FOR BOTH OUR COUNTRIES TO KEEP WORKING AS FULL PARTNERS TO GUARANTEE THE SAFETY AND SECURITY OF OUR PEOPLES, PARTICULARLY THOSE LIVING IN OUR BORDER COMMUNITIES
The murders took place the day after the White House announced the planned visit to Mexico City of First Lady Michelle Obama on April 13-15.