After occupying the Iztapalapa borough offices for nine days, Rafael Acosta, aka ‘Juanito,’ submitted his resignation as borough president. The turnaround occurred after Mexico City mayor Marcelo Ebrard threatened to prosecute him for electoral law violations. (Juanito falsified his birth certificate and voter identification card when he registered as a candidate for the July elections.) Ebrard quickly nominated AMLO-favorite Clara Brugada, who was borough president during Juanito’s first temporary leave of absence, and she was ratified by the D.F. assembly.
- Narrow advantage for Morena in last poll before Mexico State vote
- Award-winning crime journalist murdered
- Jorge Castañeda abandons quest as independent candidate for President; endorses Senator Armando Ríos Piter
- State of Mexico election still wide open
- Negotiating NAFTA
- Morena and PRI candidates tied in Mexico State